Polymer & Resin Science
The R&D strategies of all 3 Business Areas include the need to develop new and proprietary resins and polymers that will differentiate their product offerings to customers. Whilst the coatings businesses have an obvious need for polymer science and technology, polymer chemistry and (application specific) polymer processing are also highly relevant to the Specialty Chemicals businesses.
In AkzoNobel, polymer & resin science encompasses:
- synthetic resin & polymer chemistry to create and develop the resin building blocks and polymers that meet the needs of high performance coating and non-coating applications;
- physical polymer science to establish the design rules for why/how the polymers/resins work in combination with various substrates in a paint or coating, or as an additive in a polymer solution: examples include tribology (lubricants) and personal care (hair preparation) applications; and
- the processing of resins, polymer melts and polymer solutions to meet the requirements of a given application.
A Polymer & Resin Science Strategic Research Group (SRG) has been established within the Specialty Chemicals Business Area. It performs longer range, strategic research for both the Specialty Chemicals and coatings business areas and works in partnership with the company’s Resin Excellence Network (REN), raw material suppliers and universities, to access state-of-the-art polymer science and technologies to create differentiated systems that the businesses can exploit.
The SRG has three key domains of expertise:
Resin & polymer chemistry
- Synthesis of resins and polymers
- Formulating resins and polymers for coating/non-coating applications
- Controlling resin/polymer architecture and structure
- Efficient cross-linking and curing
Physical polymer science
Transport and barrier properties
- Relating resin and polymer rheology to application performance
- Tribology, friction and wear
- Electrochemical properties and techniques
- Film drying/curing and structure evolution (e.g. within both particles and films)
Resin and polymer processing
- Film extrusion
- Reactive extrusion
- Powders and fluid processing under high shear, extensional, and compressional fields
|Are you interested in this area of science?
If so, contact the Polymer & Resin Science SRG leader Dimitri van Agterveld.